Special Education deals with the areas of education, training, rehabilitation and social participation of persons who live with a developmental disadvantage and need special supportive treatment. Special Education is not a different, outstanding education, but a pedagogy that deals with specific questions on specific problems.
The scientific disciplinary spectrum of Special Education at Leibniz University of Hanover ranges from basic studies to highly specialised study questions, such as developmental surveillance, analysis and support of children, teens and adults with specific disabilities/difficulties in speech, communication and learning or problematic behaviour.
There is research and teaching at the Leibniz University in the basic subjects general and integrative pedagogy for persons with disabilities and special educational psychology as well as three categories of special education pedagogy in the case of learning difficulties, speech education and therapy and pedagogy for behavioural disorders (to the department pages).
Departments of the IfS
- Department of General and Integrated Disability Education
- Department of Special Education Psychology
- Department of Education for Learning Difficulties
- Department of Speech and Language Pedagogy and Therapy
- Department of Education for Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties
- Department of Science and Social Studies and Inclusive Education